Best Shopify Digital Downloads Apps
If you sell digital assets from your Shopify store, there’s a lot to think about:
How do customers download them?
How do you send an automated email confirming the purchase details?
What’s to stop them from sharing with their friends?
How do you protect downloads from fraud?
Fortunately, the best Shopify digital downloads apps help you do all that and more, without having to set up external hosting off your Shopify store.
These apps are purpose-built for digital download asset creators and providers using the Shopify, platform. They automate much of the order fulfilment process and protect your business while you’re free to focus on more creative pursuits.
We’ve checked out the main features of the five best digital downloads apps so that you can compare them side by side and decide which is the best fit for your business.
SendOwl calls itself “the wise way to sell and deliver your digital products”. A full-time team is dedicated to improving this Shopify digital downloads app.
The app allows you to deliver all types of digital assets from your Shopify store – whether you sell one or one thousand per day. Just upload the file to the SendOwl servers, choose the Shopify product to associate it with and they look after the rest.
Again, the app is specifically designed for Shopify merchants so you’ll have no integration issues with your store.
Price: Free plan available includes 5GB storage (2.5% commission per order — minimum 25 cents/order). $9/month for the Standard Plan (includes 50 orders/month and 5GB storage), $15/month for the Growth Plan (includes 100 orders/month and 10GB storage) and $89/month for the Custom Plan with scaled pricing (for customers with over 500 orders/month).
Free Trial? Yes – 30-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.3 (153 reviews)
- All types of digital downloads delivered automatically by a secure, expiring download link
- Can sell software licenses, music, eBooks, courses, video streaming, etc.
- Download links provided on the order completion page, sent by a separate email, included in the Shopify order email or added to the customer account section
- Keeps your files safe from unwanted attention
- Stamp PDF files to include the buyer’s name and email (reduces fraud)
- Intelligent automatic fulfilment of Shopify orders – fulfilled if it’s just digital goods but otherwise left alone
- Downloads delivered by a fast and reliable network of servers around the world
- Linkpop creators can monetize their digital products
- Can sell ‘drip’ products where files are released over a series of days/weeks/months
- Can deliver multiple files per order and even multiple files per product variant
- Customers can choose to download to Dropbox
- Multi-language and mobile-optimized download page
- Works with Shopify POS
- Works with Shopify’s inbuilt fraud system and some third-party fraud apps
- Google-style analytics page to track performance
- Generous 30-day free trial
- Generous storage space on the free plan
- Occasional confusion with pricing issues
Downloadable Digital Assets is one of two apps for the Shopify app store developed by Massive Monkey. It’s clearly doing a lot of things right as it’s maintained a perfect five-star rating from Shopify store owners since it was launched two years ago.
A former Shopify app store staff pick, this digital download app helps you automate your digital store with an easy-to-use system that protects your business from fraudulent use — whether you sell one or 100,000 products per day and regardless of the type of digital asset you specialize in.
Price: Free plan available with bandwidth limits and 2GB of storage. Paid plans at $5/month for Starter (5GB storage and more features), $19/month for Scale (20GB storage and more features) and $35/month for Professional (75GB storage and more features).
Free Trial? Yes – 7-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 5.0 (44 reviews)
- Automatically delivers secure digital download links to customers
- Products can be delivered by email, sent to the customer’s account or accessed from the Thank you checkout summary page
- Intelligent delivery system to prevent customers from sharing files
- PDF stamping, download amount, time limits and IP address limitations to protect downloads
- Integrated with Shopify’s fraud system, allowing complete control over download emails
- Get notifications if an order is flagged and stop the download
- Customized download emails with your own store’s branding
- Can use external URLs as assets, such as Google Drive or Dropbox links
- Easily import all previous orders from before installation and re-send download links if required (smooth transition process to this app)
- Sell any type of digital asset with any file size (within the plan limits) e.g., photos, videos, eBooks, audio, software, etc.
- Upload an asset to the server or attach an external URL, choose the Shopify product(s) to associate it with, and the rest is automated
- Excellent support provided
- Fraud protection is not included in the free plan or Starter plan
- Customized email templates not in the free/Starter plans
Known as the number one app for selling music on Shopify, Single Music, Video and NFTs allows artists and creators to sell all of their digital work from their Shopify stores.
The app was specifically designed for Shopify merchants and has maintained close to a five-star rating over the past few years. Originally intended for digital music and video when it was launched in 2018, the app has extended its services to NFTs and token-gated content.
Price: Free to install. Pay when you sell — from $1.50/unit (no plan) to $1.00/unit (Bronze plan $19/month) to $0.75/unit (Silver plan $39/month) and $0.50/unit (Gold plan $99/month). Additional charges for digital tracks, live stream video/tickets, etc.
Free Trial? No – free to install
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.9 (63 reviews)
- Sell albums, singles, beats, and loops
- Includes audio preview player, shoppable audio player, instant grats and pre-sales, album bundling, etc.
- Supports MP3, WAV, FLAC & ALAC downloads
- Extended features for automated chart reporting, merch bundling and additional file attachments
- Host events from your Shopify storefront and start streaming in HD and selling access to video-on-demand
- Includes embedded video player, built-in stream chats, merch tables, video bundling etc.
- Step-by-step creation tool for NFTs (mint-on-demand)
- Upload an image and start selling Solana NFTs – no crypto or blockchain knowledge is required
- Reward fans with exclusive access to products, content, and experiences when they purchase an NFT
- Gate access to anything in your Shopify storefront
- Upsell tools (with discounts) provided to increase sales before checkout
- Use BoostLinks to attach campaigns to products – when a purchase is completed, the customer is sent to a series of smart links on your website, social media, etc.
- Pricing is a little confusing to understand
Sky Pilot is a Shopify digital downloads app designed by Corknine Development. It is well established and has been featured on the Shopify app store for almost a decade.
During that time, it has maintained a five-star rating from merchants, which says a lot about how effective this app is for the sale of digital goods. You can use it to sell practically any digital asset.
Price: Free plan available with 2MB of storage. Lite plan at $15/month (1GB of file storage and 20GB of monthly bandwidth), Basic plan at $30/month (5GB of file storage and 100GB of monthly bandwidth) and Advanced plan at $75/month (25GB of file storage and 250GB of monthly bandwidth).
Free Trial? Yes – 14 days
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 5.0 (101 reviews)
- Sell any digital download including videos, music, courses, eBooks, podcasts, PDFs, PNGs, EMPs, JPGs, etc.
- Create a catalogue of all digital products in easy-to-navigate folders for a seamless customer experience
- One-click purchase and immediate delivery system
- Customers get immediate access to the content they have purchased from your store after checkout
- A fully customizable, on-brand experience hosted in your store – no external bridges required
- Keep customers in your store for the entire purchase experience
- Customers also receive a link to the page via email to download purchased products at their convenience
- Monitor download activity and keep track of sales/revenue streams
- Easily bundle physical and digital products
- File protection allows you to limit downloads per file, set access to expire after time limits, and get alerts when inappropriate access is gained
- Advanced features, customized pricing and Shopify Plus support are available if required
- Slightly more expensive than other apps reviewed here
FetchApp makes it easy to sell digital downloads, integrating with your Shopify store to automatically deliver anything from music to videos, eBooks, PDFs, software and more without the need for external hosting.
The app is well established and has provided help to some heavy-hitters, including Robbie Williams, Beck, Ryan Adams, David Blaine, and MerchNow. It is constantly being improved by the development team at FetchApp.
Price: Free plan available with 5MB of storage per month and a limit of 25 orders per day. $5/month for 50MB of storage and unlimited orders/bandwidth. $10/month for 2GB of storage and unlimited orders/bandwidth. $20/month for 5GB of storage and unlimited orders/bandwidth.
Free Trial? No – free to install
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.2 (38 reviews)
- Makes it easy to sell any digital product without external hosting
- Files stored on and delivered from Amazon S3
- Fast delivery of all digital products from a network of optimized, reliable and secure servers
- Create or edit products in seconds
- Download links are delivered automatically
- Import all products from Shopify in one click
- Each account can have multiple users
- Can attach multiple files to a single product
- Can associate a single file with several products
- Receive orders through multiple carts and gateways
- Restrict downloads by time, quantity or both
- Allow previous buyers to download updated files
- Data backed up daily and stored in multiple locations
- Revenue and download statistics are shown in real-time
- A complete history of every order, along with the current status
- No commission is taken on sales
- Friendly and knowledgeable support staff (chat or email)
- Should have more Shopify reviews for the length of time it’s been around (since 2009)
- Occasional comments about the interface looking old and technical glitches
Ready to start monetizing your digital work?
Whether you’re a musician, NFT creator, course provider or software developer, it’s never been easier to start selling your digital work online.
With a Shopify storefront and the use of one of the digital download apps reviewed above, you can start monetizing your digital products securely and effectively, while providing a great user experience for buyers.