Best Shopify Direct Mail App Review
Everyone’s talking about marketing automation and segmentation but most Shopify store owners automatically think of email, social media, pay-per-click or SMS marketing.
Is it still relevant and, if so, how does it fit into your overall marketing strategy?
The high “saturation” levels and amount of “noise” and “inbox clutter” associated with email marketing — and the rising costs of digital advertising as it becomes more competitive — mean that a move back to direct mail should not be ignored.
Ecommerce open rates for email campaigns are as low as 20 percent. That means 80 percent of active subscribers are not engaging. The best Shopify direct mail apps help you change that.
You can send cards, handwritten notes or postcards direct to the mailboxes of existing and prospective customers. Direct mail has a much higher open rate, approaching 99 percent if the campaign is well-targeted.
Direct mail apps integrate seamlessly with your Shopify store, allowing you to send mail quickly and affordably and helping you stand out in a world where everyone’s gone digital or social.
But which are the best apps to help you?
As usual, we’ve done some scouting around. The best direct mail apps for Shopify are reviewed below…
PostPilot was specifically designed to help Shopify store owners incorporate direct mail seamlessly within their digital marketing strategies.
The app includes segmented customer lists to send real postcards to physical mailboxes triggered by particular shopper behavior. Some people call it “Klaviyo for direct mail” and it is already used by thousands of Shopify brands with glowing Shopify reviews.
Price: $99/month plan (for brands with thousands of customers) and a $499/month Pro plan (for brands with tens or hundreds of thousands of customers). Alternatively, send ad hoc direct mail campaigns at $0.89 – $2.99/card based on size and messaging requirements. Price includes cards, printing and postage.
Free Trial? No – free to install
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 5.0 (35 reviews)
- Send personalized postcards to customers in a fully automated process
- Use a range of templates or design your own with a drag-and-drop tool
- No coding or graphic design skills requiredCards printed in full color on premium quality card stock from a facility in South Carolina
- Can use a complimentary custom design service to design postcards
- Trigger-targeted campaigns based on the amount spent, items bought, location, time since last purchase, etc.
- Set and forget campaign setup
- Cards can be handwritten by proprietary robots using real ink pens
- Undeliverable addresses are eliminated from campaigns to improve ROI
- Integrated conversion tracking from your dashboard to track ROICan include coupon codes on postcards for quick conversions
- Can upload lists from any CRM or ecommerce platform via a user-friendly CSV importer
- Concierge support provided
- This app is almost bulletproof. We couldn’t find any weaknesses.
Poplar Mail helps Shopify merchants bring programmatic marketing methods to physical mail.
Using this app, automated, personalized direct mail campaigns that get cards to mailboxes within a week can be managed easily from within the Shopify admin panel.
It works equally as well for retargeting abandoned checkouts or setting up CRM/lifecycle marketing events with triggers.
Price: Fee payable per postcard or envelope sent — no SaaS fees, contracts or minimums: from $0.53/each to $0.94/each depending on the size and mail service required (first-class or standard).
Free Trial? No – free to install.
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 5.0 (2 reviews)
- Send personalized postcards or letters
- Standard and first-class mail options — mail arrives in 3-5 days
- Dynamic HTML postcard/letter design makes it quick and easy to create campaigns
- Include custom merge tags such as customer name/location and drive traffic directly to URLs
- Intuitive front-end allows users to set up on-demand, trigger-based campaigns
- Automatically target shoppers based on Shopify events
- Target segmented audiences based on their online or transactional behavior, e.g., abandoned checkout, canceled order, post-purchase (cross-sell/upsell)
- Other triggers can be based on order count, product title, order value, etc.
- Real-time tracking and updates for each piece of mail
- Mail arrives in mailboxes in under a week
- Knowledgeable support provided
- Not enough Shopify reviews/ratings from merchants — and no recent ones (in the past year) at all
- No monthly plans (high-volume users pay the same as low-volume users)
The main unique point about IgnitePOST’s Handwritten Notes app is that all mail is written in a style that mimics real human handwriting.
This provides the opportunity for Shopify merchants to create direct mail campaigns that add a personal touch.
Whether you simply want to say “thank you” to customers, upsell/cross-sell with discount codes or request reviews, this app should be able to help you boost engagement and sales.
Price: $3.99 per handwritten card. No monthly plans or install charges.
Free Trial? No – free to install and can send yourself a free sample card after installing the app.
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 5.0 (12 reviews)
- Automatically create and mail handwritten notes, postcards and gift cards
- Personalized notes/cards to thank customers
- Notes and cards written by in-house robots with real ink
- 12 different styles of handwriting/fonts to choose from
- Custom branding options (upload logos/images) to engage shoppers
- Thank customers, request reviews, cut churn, send promos, show offers, recapture abandoned carts, etc.
- Easy to set up and design campaigns
- Trigger card-sending by custom events – e.g., after a purchase over a certain amount
- Integrates with Klaviyo
- Simple pricing
- More expensive than other apps reviewed here — with no monthly plan options
- Few recent reviews compared to other apps reviewed here
The SimplePost direct mail app for Shopify is marketed mainly as a way to retarget potential customers who have left without purchasing from your store.
Using the app, it’s easy to send attractive, personalized postcards with your custom messaging.
Price: $1.50 per postcard sent.
Free Trial? No – free to install and request a demo.
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 5.0 (2 reviews)
- Attractive direct mail postcards sent to mailboxes
- Standard postcards measure 5.5 x 8” with full-color gloss finishes on both sides
- Hundreds of conversion-optimized templates to choose from
- Uses a proprietary browser fingerprinting technology to identify and retarget customers
- High-quality printing and card used
- An effective way to retarget customers and boost sales
- Segment your audience/current customers
- Design your offer and add your own creative
- Unique custom discounts/QR codes to identify and calculate ROI on each offer (direct attribution)
- Delivery in 2-3 days from the date of website visit
- Monitor the success of campaigns with advanced reporting
- Lack of reviews from Shopify merchants
- Shoppers may have some privacy concerns over browser fingerprinting tech
- No monthly plans for higher-volume users
AppSolute Mail is the latest cab on the rank when it comes to direct mail automation apps for Shopify merchants.
The app markets itself as a retargeting technology for creating personalized direct mail campaigns but was only launched this month and so does not have any reviews to verify how well it works — will you be the first to leave a review?
Price: Free plan with postcards mailed for $2.05 (in the US) and $3.75 (global). Starter plan at $15/month ($1.50 for postcards in the US), Pro plan at $30/month ($1.25 for postcards in the US), and Pro+ plan ($1 for postcards in the US).
Free Trial? Yes – 7-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): No reviews
- Fully customizable, programmatic marketing platform for direct mail
- Includes advanced click-and-drag visual editor/composer for creating personalized postcards
- Over 1,000 fonts and custom font options
- Set up automated triggers for abandoned checkouts, CRM, new accounts, post-purchase, follow-ups, upsell, etc.
- Detailed filters to create granular triggers based on order count, product title, order value, etc.
- Easy to create campaigns in minutes
- All postcards are sent priority mail and delivered within 3-4 business days
- Advanced analytics dashboard to help measure performance and ROI
- Free and monthly plans available
- No reviews yet from Shopify merchants
Handwritten Notes by Scribeless is, as its name suggests, another direct mail app that specializes in sending handwritten messages to customers.
This adds the personal touch to direct mail campaigns and, by automating the process as much as possible, it works at scale (up to 20,000 notes per day). This direct mail app can also be used to create handwritten inserts for products.
Scribeless is one of the more established apps of its kind on the Shopify app store.
Price: Flexible pricing based upon volumes of handwritten notes/letters in envelopes/folded holiday cards/handwritten postcards required. Postcards range from $0.48 to $0.99. Folded holiday cards range from $1.59 to $2.79 (not including postage or local taxes). Monthly plans are available from $99 to $999/month.
Free Trial? No – free to install
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.3 (10 reviews)
- Create direct mail campaigns and print inserts resembling human handwriting
- Send handwritten notes, letters in envelopes, folding holiday cards or handwritten postcards
- Luxurious materials used
- AI-generated texts that look like real handwriting
- Completely automated from checkout to fulfillment
- Design made easy with a drag-and-drop stationery editor
- Connect the Shopify gift note field for seamless integration with your checkout
- Automatically print personalized notes in your facility
- Create segments with different messages, such as first-time customers, high-value orders, or customers with special tags
- Personalized QR codes that redirect to product landing pages, review forms, etc.
- Suitable for up to 20,000 notes per day
- Facilities in the US, UK, and Canada
- Everything mailed within one working day
- A few billing errors reported by Shopify merchants
Ready to go back to the future with direct mail?
Some marketing truths hold whether online or offline: one of them is if you get the right offer to the right customer at the right time, they will buy.
Direct mail is not suddenly going to reclaim its place as the king of marketing strategies and displace email marketing and digital advertising. But it can be an effective way to rise above the inbox clutter. Combining direct mail campaigns with your digital campaigns and managing everything from your Shopify store makes it easy to do.
Check out the best Shopify direct mail apps reviewed above, install them for free and have a play around to see which one works best for you.
Next time you want to reconnect with old customers, convert a new one, surprise an existing customer — or simply ask a customer for a review — a postcard or handwritten card may be the best way to do it.