Best Shopify Email Marketing Apps for 
Almost all serious Shopify marketers agree: email marketing just works.
Whether it’s sending exclusive offers to your list, wishing customers happy birthday, or having another go at converting abandoned shopping cart customers, email is one of your store’s closest allies as you look to build relationships and grow sales.
A 2019 Econsultancy/Adestra census reported that email marketing was placed above SEO and paid search in terms of how effective it was for respondents.
So, if your store’s marketing toolbox does not include email marketing software, you’re missing out.
But which are the best Shopify email marketing apps for your ecommerce store?
Following are best of the best apps on the market.
Price: Free to install (up to 250 email contacts and 500 email sends). Paid plans for over 250 email contacts start at $20/month
Rating on Shopify Apps (Max 5): 4.4 (785 reviews)
Free trial? Not applicable
Klaviyo email marketing app for Shopify now has a huge following among store owners – as evidenced by its almost 800 largely positive reviews on the Shopify app store.
Part of the attraction is its free version but, beyond that, it scores well in most of the important email marketing categories:
- Provides pre-built templates, editable templates, and email auto-responders
- Easy to create personalized email campaigns based on behavioral and transactional data
- Easy to set up cart abandonment and win-back emails to recapture ‘lost’ sales
- Large number of one-click integrations supported
- Integrates with Facebook Advertising, Recharge, Zendesk, Swell Rewards, Smile.io, Aftership, etc.
- Many pre-built integrations
- Easy to test different subject lines, content etc. to help refine messaging and optimize send times
- Unlimited A/B testing even in the free version
- Easy to clean unengaged or inactive profiles from your list to reduce unsubscribe rates and improve open rates (important for your reputation and conversion)
- Simple to identify unengaged profiles and suppress or delete them as well as clean “soft bounces”
Price: Free up to 2,000 contacts and 10,000 monthly emails. From $9.99/month to $299/month for more features, more emails, and more contacts
Rating on Shopify Apps (Max 5): Removed from the app store since March 2019
Free trial? Not applicable
In March 2019, Mailchimp and Shopify announced to the world that they would no longer have a direct integration. This was a big move, as Mailchimp is one of the leading email apps around.
However, Shopify store owners can still use Mailchimp as their chosen email marketing app. Simply use the API tool, which is basically a synchronization app that allows the two to talk to each other.
- Single-step automations for welcome emails, order notifications, abandoned carts, and more
- More automations in the paid versions ($14.99/month and up) – including automations for nurture campaigns, onboarding series, event-based automations, etc.
- Auto-responders included
- Includes integrations for 200+ apps – even in the free version
- Integration with Mailchimp mobile app
- A/B testing not included in the free version – but is included in all paid versions
- Multivariate testing feature available in premium version
- Automatic cleaning of email addresses that “hard bounce” (where there is a permanent reason for non-delivery)
- Easy to manually clean lists using integrated apps
Price: Free plan available up to 1,000 subscribers and 5,000 emails ($29-$99/month for paid versions)
Rating on Shopify Apps (Max 5): 4.7 (170 reviews)
Free trial? 15-day free trial of the paid plan
Smartrmail is billed as the “email marketing app for small-to-medium merchants who know they should be doing more with email marketing, but don’t have the time or resources.”
You will benefit from greater functionality with the paid versions but if you’re just starting out, the free version is worth a try.
- Excellent for automated abandoned cart emails and email newsletters with in-app product lookup – even in the free version
- Welcome emails, win back emails, product recommendations, and upsell/cross-sell automations
- Many integrations including Facebook Justuno, Sumo, Wisepops
- Easy to import existing subscribers from your previous email marketing platform
- A/B testing is included in the Advanced plan
- Test two different subject lines for manual email campaigns
- Easy to identify and clean disengaged subscribers – or try to win them back
- Simple to segment customers
Price: Free to install and to send up to 15,000 emails per month (paid plans from $16/month up to $199/month and more for enterprise)
Rating on Shopify Apps (Max 5): 4.8 (3,316 reviews)
Free trial? 14-day free trial
With over 3,300 overwhelmingly positive reviews on the app store, Omnisend is clearly a popular and effective Shopify email marketing app.
However, the free version may be a little light on features for all but the most basic of startup Shopify stores. You’ll get far more value from a small investment in a paid monthly plan.
- Very limited automation on the free version
- All of the main automated emails and flows are available on the lowest paid monthly plan
- Many ready-to-use email templates too
- Free version offers limited integrations but paid even the lower-priced plans cover most common integrations needed for Shopify store owners
- Facebook, Privy, smile.io, Yotpo, Aftership, Recharge, Nosto, and more
- Available on all paid versions but not on free version
- Little information available on list cleaning features but Omnisend does have a strict antispam policy so you are expected to maintain clean lists
Price: If you get in quick, you may still be able to land one of the lifetime deals starting at $49 (up to 5,000 subscribers). If not, standard pricing starts at $20/month
Rating on Shopify Apps (Max 5): Not currently featured on the Shopify app store
Free trial? No
SendFox is one of the up and coming Shopify email marketing apps, as you can read in our recent Sendfox review.
As part of the Sumo family of ecommerce marketing tools, SendFox comes from good “stock” and is a platform designed to be affordable and super-simple for content creators.
- Automated welcome emails to subscribers that promote the channels you want to direct them towards
- Automated campaigns based on user behavior (what they click on or what they open)
- Automated campaigns based on time (scheduling)
- Simple integration with the other Sumo family tools (Sumo and Kingsumo)
- Also integrates with Zapier, API Endpoints, and POST HTML code from forms
- No information provided
- Currently working on functionality to make list-cleaning easier (it’s a relative newcomer, as mentioned already)
Price: Free plan available. $10/month for the first 1000 contacts and $5 additional for each 1000 contacts
Rating on Shopify Apps (Max 5): 4.6 (23,443 reviews)
Free trial? 15-day free trial
An astonishing amount of positive reviews (over 23,000) say that this is one of the best Shopify email marketing apps around.
Privy is actually a whole suite of conversion and email marketing tools designed for ecommerce, including exit-intent driven popups that help grow your email list as well as communicate with contacts on it.
- Autoresponders and reminder emails
- Upsell modals with add-to-cart buttons as well as newsletter emails, abandoned cart emails and order follow-up emails
- Integrates with Mailchimp, Klaviyo, Bronto, smile.io, octane.ai, Recart, Shopmessage, and Adroll retargeting
- Also integrates with Zapier, Google Analytics, Facebook pixels, and Slack
- Also offers SMS integrations through multiple providers such as Postscript, Retention Rocket, and Attentive, etc.
- Being primarily a list-growing tool, you can test varying form fields and coupon codes – but you cannot currently A/B test your emails.
- Because Privy is mainly about building lists, there is less emphasis on scrubbing lists – but it integrates with other apps than can help you keep your list super clean
Price: Free up to 300 contacts. Extra functionality with paid plans, starting from $29/month and increasing with the number of contacts (e.g. up to 10,000 contacts = $129/month)
Rating on Shopify Apps (Max 5): 4.8 (622 reviews)
Free trial? 14-day free trial
Jilt is another well-reviewed Shopify email marketing app.
The free version may be far too limited if you’re already quite established but you should find the paid versions good value even if you have many thousands of subscribers.
- Automated abandoned cart recovery, newsletters, and sales announcements
- Post-purchase follow ups, thank or welcome emails, win-back emails, and transactional emails like receipts or shipment notifications
- Paid versions integrate with Zapier, Product Customizer etc. (but not the free version)
- More limited integrations than with other email marketing app options listed
- Test personalization, subject line, sender name, send time, audience segment, etc. (paid version only)
- Automatically suppresses email addresses that have bounced
- Easy to manually archive accounts that have not engaged with you for some time – or to try to re-engage them
Price: Free plan available (up to 1,000 customers). Pro paid version is $49/month. Enterprise version for 30,000 customers and over.
Rating on Shopify Apps (Max 5): 4.8 (278 reviews)
Free trial? 14-day free trial of paid version
Marsello is more than an email marketing platform, though that is an important feature of it.
It also helps you run targeted retention marketing to keep you most valuable customers with reward and VIP programs, combining data-powered automation with “real human experts”.
- Fully automated email flows in the paid version
- Everything from welcoming first-time shoppers to win-back emails, rewarding top customers, recovering abandoned carts, and saying happy birthday
- No autoresponders
- Integrates with other PoS platforms as well as Shopify, like Vend
- Integrates with Mailchimp if you still want to send emails to customers from there
- No A/B testing
- Includes standard list management tools to keep your list clean
CM Commerce Email Marketing
Price: Free to install. Paid plans range from $9/month (up to 5,000 emails per month to 500 people) to $49/month (unlimited emails with priority support)
Rating on Shopify Apps (Max 5): 4.8 (983 reviews)
Free trial? Yes
This is a relatively new email marketing app from the team at Campaign Monitor, a well-established name in Shopify marketing.
They now serve over 20,000 entrepreneurs and ecommerce businesses worldwide so this one is definitely worth considering if you’re looking for the right program to send Shopify emails.
As well as the following key features, CM Commerce is interesting because it makes it easy to gather customer feedback and reviews.
- Ready-to-go automation “recipes”
- Easy to customize emails for welcoming new signups, abandoned carts, upselling, and targeting customers based on preferences and behavior
- Integration with Privy, Optinmonster, Smile.io, JustUno, LoyaltyLion, Conversio, PixelPop, Wheeli, Shoeslace, Searchanise, and more
- Also integrates with Outlook, Gmail, Salesforce, etc.
- Use the email builder to create two different variations of your email (testing subject line, from name, content, length, visuals, call to action, etc.)
- List cleaning is best managed through apps like Kickbox
What’s the best Shopify email marketing app for you?
You can try all of the above email marketing apps for free so if you really want to do your homework and find the best possible fit for your Shopify store, you can! For nothing!
Whether you’re after a standalone email marketing platform that just looks after your email comms with customers or a more comprehensive marketing automation platform, have a play around with the above tools and see what you find.
Or maybe you know of a better one that we haven’t included here?