Best Shopify Gift Card App 
Being able to choose what you want without paying for it is a shopper’s dream. That’s why gift cards were always popular in high-street retail.
It’s no different in ecommerce. Digital gift cards for birthdays, Christmas, Valentine’s or “just because” remain popular.
For the lucky recipients, gift cards feel a little more special than simply receiving a coupon or code. For shoppers, they are a convenient way to mark an occasion. And for you, they can introduce new customers to your store, helping you enhance your brand AND make money.
Did you know that gift card purchasers tend to spend over the face value of the gift card?
The numerous apps available on the Shopify app store make it easy to set up and to earn extra income from gift cards. Some also offer loyalty program services and other benefits for your brand.
The best gift card apps add extra design class and functionality to the standard Shopify gift card setup, improving the user experience.
So, if you want to start offering gift cards in your store or improve the current service you provide, which apps stand out? Which ones will help you grow revenue?
Here are five of the best gift card apps for Shopify…
This app is always featured in the “best gift card app” lists – with good reason. It is exceptionally well reviewed and is probably the most popular gift card app on the Shopify app store.
As well as helping you set up your gift card system, this app helps you build a complete loyalty, customer retention, and referral program. You do pay a little for the privilege though, so it’s probably aimed more at established stores than small dropshippers.
Price: From $19.99/month up to $599.99/month
Free Trial? Yes – 7-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars):4.9 (711 reviews)
- Advanced gift card experience for customers
- Customers can schedule and send gift cards
- Branded, digital gift cards and gift vouchers sent via email and IM
- Offer gift cards on Instagram and Facebook
- Can issue gift card refunds and offer store credit for returns
- Gift cards, store credit and loyalty points can be migrated for free
- Set up automated bulk gift card/gift voucher/discounts based on triggers
- Helps you re-engage with customers with a proactive loyalty program (e.g., after the customer purchases three times)
- Gift cards can be used across multiple stores on Premium Plan
- Helps you set up rewards and referral accounts
- Works with all Shopify plans
- Integrates with Apple Pay, Shopify POS, Klaviyo, Yotpo and more
- Easy to install and customize
- No free version
- May be overkill for smaller stores
- Relatively high monthly costs
Shopkeeper Tools is one of the main developers of gift card related apps on Shopify. You will see the name mentioned again later in this gift card app review and they also make an app specifically for scheduling gift cards.
This is their high-end app, allowing you to create customized, fully-branded, animated gift cards easily to promote your store.
Price: $14.99/month. One time design ($99) or integration fee ($59)
Free Trial? Yes – 3-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars):4.9 (8 reviews)
- Easy to customize gift cards to help build brand awareness
- Streamlined gift card ordering process
- Helps gift cards appear polished and professional
- You maintain control over cover, background, etc.
- Mobile and print-friendly gift cards
- Use online or with your instore Shopify POS
- Animated gift cards available
- Allow senders to add their name and a message
- Professional design and integration assistance provided for a one-off fee
- Add your store logo, product photos, etc.
- Can use your own graphics to save the design fee
- Lack of reviews
- Short free trial (only three days)
- No changes to the sizing, shapes, layout or animation of gift cards is permitted
This plugin by Digismoothie is branded as a “free gift motivator”. It is aimed more at Shopify merchants who want to offer free gift cards and free gifts to customers as rewards for purchases.
Gift Box can help you increase the average customer spend and reward customer loyalty and is more versatile than some of the other apps included here, offering more than simply gift cards.
Price: From $29.99/month up to $99.99/month (Shopify Plus)
Free Trial? Yes – 7-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars):4.8 (62 reviews)
- Offer free gifts on order or free gift cardsfor spending over a certain amount
- Enables you to offer free gift wrapping, free shipping or free products to shoppers
- Improves customer loyalty
- Highly customizable
- Simple to set up, launch, and use
- Unlimited free gifts available on all plans
- Choose from pre-defined templates or create your own
- Set your own rules for free gifts/gift cards – you decide on the purchase amounts to trigger freebies
- Made for mobile as well as desktop
- No coding skills required
- Dedicated and helpful support via online chat and e-mail
- The entry price point is a little higher than other apps reviewed here
- Cannot work with a store loyalty program
- Doesn’t work with volume discounts or custom checkout solutions
This is another one from the aforementioned Shopkeeper Tools. Easy Gift Cards is a simpler app than the Branded Gift Cards app by the same developer.
Designed for ease of use, this app is targeted at smaller store owners who just want a fast and reliable way to offer gift cards for customers.
Free Trial? Yes – 3-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars):5.0 (5 reviews)
- Quick and easy way to set up your gift card system
- Adds a single, simple form to your gift card product page
- Very easy for customers to place gift card orders and personalize
- Customers can add name and personalized messages to cards
- Template provided but you decide gift card amounts
- Easy for customers to send gift cards by email
- Gift givers can schedule notifications to recipients after purchase
- Recipient clicks the link in the gift card to check redemption instructions
- Desktop, tablet, mobile and print-friendly experience
- Lower price point than other gift card apps reviewed here
- Simple flat rate pricing with no hidden fees/transaction fees
- Unlimited gift cards
- The free trial is only three days
- No preview available for gift cards
- Only one default design
- Lack of customer reviews on Shopify
Finally, it’s those good people at Shopkeeper Tools again. This one has a free plan available so it may be more attractive for small stores and startup owners who want to test the water with gift cards.
Even the paid plans will be affordable for most Shopify stores that want to replace the inbuilt Shopify gift card layout with something a little more eye-catching and with far more design choices (hundreds of templates).
Price: Free plan available. Pro plan at $9.99 and Branded Pro plan at $14.99/month. One-off $99 design fee or $59 integration fee.
Free Trial? Yes – 30-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars):4.3 (27 reviews)
- Advanced gift card designs
- No confusing codes – simple order, sending and redemption process
- Shoppers can customize cards with personal notes for family, friends, etc.
- Hundreds of professional designs to choose from
- Birthday, Christmas, holiday, anniversary, Valentine’s Day designs, and more
- Animated, mobile and print-friendly gift cards
- New designs added to the library frequently
- When the recipient gets the link, they click it to view the personalized gift card page
- Simple installation process and easy to use
- Basic support and installation for free users
- Free and affordable plans available
- Branded Pro plan provides a design service with a one-time fee
- Free version is limited to 100 sends per month and is not customizable with your logo/brand design/message
- No ability to email gift cards to recipients (you need a scheduler app to do that – the one from Shopkeeper Tools is a paid app starting at $9.99/month)
Shopify Gift Card Apps For The Win
There aren’t that many apps purely for setting up gift cards on Shopify stores – maybe because Shopify itself offers this in many of its plans.
However, given the importance that most people place on gift-giving on special occasions, some stores aren’t taking it seriously enough.
Gift card apps have great potential to boost revenue and customer loyalty, and to bring new customers into your store.
Perhaps offering gift cards can be a differentiator for your store. Are your competitors doing it? No? Great…
If you have a Shopify account with the gift card feature you can get right onto it. Start by checking out a few of the apps you have just read about.