Best Push Notification Apps for Shopify 
Get an extended 30-day trial with the $19 business plan: ACQUIRECONVERT30
What happens in your store when a customer abandons their cart?
Or when they order a product that’s out of stock?
Your store is no different from any other Shopify store – we all get abandoned carts and unfulfilled orders. But there’s no need to leave huge amounts of revenue on the table.
What separates the best ecommerce stores from the rest is partly how they remarket to “lost” customers.
You don’t have to spend big dollars on retargeting ads on Facebook or risk being accused of spam by emailing customers (who might not even read your mails).
Push notification follow-ups with customers are one of the most cost-effective ways to turn “lost” sales into real revenue.
That’s not all you can do with push notification apps for Shopify, of course. With the right app, you can also create promotions with price drop alerts and discounts, grow your list with invitations to subscribe and provide order info like shipping details.
Find out which is the right app for you from the cream of the crop that we’ve selected below…
This one comes first on account of its amazingly consistent reviews from Shopify merchants, who have awarded PushOwl an average of five stars from over 1500 reviewers.
That takes some doing so the team at PushOwl know what they’re doing – and they’ve got the balance right between keeping customers informed without being too “pushy”. The free version makes it great for startup stores but you can scale as you grow.
Price: Free to install and free up to 500 impressions/month. $19/month for up to 10,000 impressions/month (Enterprise plan available for stores sending thousands or even millions of notifications per day).
Free Trial? Yes – 14 days.
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 5.0 (1549 reviews)
- Web push notifications sent via browser – no email or SMS required
- Works with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, etc. on desktop or mobile
- Helps you build a subscriber list that only you market to (ideal for regulated industries like CBD, health, and adult)
- Inbuilt system for abandoned cart recovery – automatic sequence of push notifications take customers back to their cart(paid version)
- Edit the sequence to improve timing/text or add a coupon code
- Browse abandonment, price drop, back in stock, shipping and welcome sequence notifications provided as well as abandoned carts
- Conversion tracking and basic reporting in the free version
- The free version allows up to 500 notifications per month
- Easy to set up – no coding required
- Clean, easy-to-use dashboard
- Proactive chat support available even in the free version
- Ideal for all stores from startups to established Shopify Plus stores
- Strategy manager and phone support available for Enterprise
- Integrates with many other popular Shopify apps
- Slightly weak on reporting
- Some over-attribution of sales, according to some users
As you might expect from the name, Firepush does a little more than web push notifications. It allows you to automatically send notifications by email and SMS as well as web push notifications. That’s where it’s different from the other push notification apps reviewed here.
If you want to target abandoned cart recovery, you’ll need one of the paid plans but these are reasonably priced – and if you just want to use welcome notifications, the free plan may work for startup stores.
The app is also trusted by hundreds of Shopify Plus stores and has been universally well-reviewed by merchants.
Price: Free plan available (up to 100 web pushes). Paid plans at $15/month (up to 7,000 web pushes and 6000 email) and $29/month (up to 10,000 web pushes and 15,000 emails).
Free Trial? Yes – 14 days.
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.8 (784 reviews)
- All-in-one remarketing app covering automated email, web push, and SMS notifications
- Abandoned cart reminder sequence included in paid versions
- Sequences included for three emails/SMS/web push notifications
- Send promotional campaigns for special offers, loyalty discounts or using cross-sell and upsell features
- Use for new product launches, review requests, wish-list pushes, price drop messages or back in stock notifications
- Can use for order confirmations and delivery updates
- Can use for ‘win-back customer’ campaigns
- 24/7 customer support in paid versions
- Dedicated customer success manager and personalized strategic sessions for Shopify Plus stores
- The free version includes welcome push notifications
- Pay-as-you-go SMS
- Very reasonably priced paid plans
- Some historical complaints from customers – but these seem to have been fixed up
- The free plan has no abandoned cart push notifications – only welcome notifications
The Push Monkey Retention Tools app helps you send automated notifications for abandoned carts, price drops, back-in-stock alerts and more.
With this app, like with PushOwl and most of the others reviewed here, there is no email or SMS facility. It notifies customers using web push technology directly in their browsers. A free plan is available but most growing stores will need one of the reasonably priced paid plans.
Price: Free plan available (up to 100 subscribers). Paid plans at $16/month (up to 2000 subscribers), $33/month (up to 5000 subscribers), and $59/month (up to 10,000 subscribers).
Free Trial? Yes – 15 days
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.9 (89 reviews)
- Automatically send web push notifications to subscribers for abandoned carts
- Customize notifications and timings (instant or delayed)
- Attach images to notifications (for Chrome browser users)
- Send automatic notifications to subscribers for sold-out products or price drops with their favorite products
- Recommend new products and send promotional notification campaigns
- Reward new push notification subscribers with special discount codes
- Welcome new subscribers
- Keep track of subscriber growth, effectiveness of notifications, open rates, etc.
- Quick and easy installation
- Custom branding even in the free plan
- A few historical complaints that seem to have been fixed up – nothing recently
- Fewer customer testimonials than some of the other apps reviewed here
iZooto Web Push Notifications is another Shopify app that focuses on targeted browser-based notifications to help increase conversions and sales.
It’s used by new and growing Shopify stores, as well as well-established stores using Shopify Plus to engage, retarget and retain users.
Price: Free plan available (up to 2500 subscribers). Paid plans at $25/month and $75/month offering many additional features.
Free Trial? Yes – 14 days.
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.9 (22 reviews)
- Easily create a system of targeted and automated web push notifications
- Ready-to-use playbooks available – for extra efficiency
- Actionable notifications with higher conversion rates than email
- Automated push notifications to abandoned cart customers
- Images can be included on notifications – even with the free version
- Drip notifications and welcome notifications for new subscribers available (paid versions)
- Announce new product catalogue, flash sales, one-time special offers and more
- Smart delivery and device targeting available (paid versions)
- Subscription date targeting available (paid versions)
- Segment your subscribers based on in-store activity/location, etc.
- Easy to set up – no coding required
- The free version has unlimited notifications (up to 2500 subscribers) and campaign analytics
- Supported on Chrome and Firefox (desktop and Android mobile) and Safari (desktop)
- New features added regularly – back-in-stock alerts and price drop alerts are coming soon
- 24/7 live chat support
- The entry point for paid plans is a little higher than other apps reviewed here
- Lack of reviews (especially recent ones)
Smart Push Marketing (WebPush) by Hextom is another of the most widely-used apps among the Shopify merchant community.
It focuses mainly on abandoned carts, back in stock and price drop alerts. Because there’s a free version (with branding), it’s possible to recapture lost sales, generate new traffic and boost sales without it costing a cent!
Price: Free (up to 100 subscribers). Paid plans from $9.99/month (up to 1000 subscribers) up to $149.99/month (up to 50,000 subscribers).
Free Trial? No
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.7 (1,491 reviews)
- Easily notify customers without phone number or email address
- Retarget abandoned browsing and carts as well as abandoned checkouts (on paid versions)
- Send discount codes and other promotions to get customers back to your store
- Set the perfect customized time to send the push notifications
- Auto-segmentation of subscribers into groups
- Segment by price, frequency of visit, win-backs, etc.
- Back in stock and price drop notifications provided
- Shipping and welcome notifications included
- Supports Mac, Windows and Android with Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera browsers
- Branding removed on paid versions
- Simple to set up
- Email support for all versions
- Some confusion with getting started for users
- Promoted as totally free on Shopify app store – but there are paid versions that unlock certain features
PushEngage helps you deliver targeted messages both to customers who have expressed interest in buying and to nurture users on their buying journey (drip campaigns).
This Shopify push notification app offers cart abandonment, back in stock, and price drop notification series that are easy to set up and effective in reaching customers when they are ready to act.
Price: Free plan available (up to 2500 subscribers, 120 notifications and 5,000 clicks). Paid plans at $29/month (up to 5000 subscribers) or $79/month
Free Trial? Yes – 15 days.
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 5.0 (15 reviews)
- Customized abandoned cart recovery notification series
- Price drop alert campaign series (paid plan only)
- Inventory alert/back in stock campaigns (paid plan only)
- Segment lists according to six different criteria/actions so the right notifications get to the right customers
- Drip push notification series to nurture customers (paid plan only)
- Seven different types of push notification opt-ins to increase subscribers
- Activate campaigns in a single click and auto-update the user
- Send personalized notifications in the customer’s native language
- Supports Chrome on Web/Android, Firefox on Web/Mobile, Safari on Desktop, Samsung browser, Edge on Desktop and Opera on Desktop/Mobile
- Single-click installation
- Track performance of notifications from the dashboard
- A/B testing on Automation plan ($79/month)
- Scalable pricing options
- Chat, phone, and email support
- Lack of customer reviews on Shopify
- Many of the features are only available on paid plans
Shopify Push Notifications Apps: Target and retarget customers without being “pushy”
The push notification apps reviewed above can help you drive sales without being “pushy”!
Many ecommerce stores find push notification subscriptions easier to come by than gathering email addresses or phone numbers. Customers know that their details cannot be shared or resold unlike with email/phone.
Push notifications increase sales in your store even when customers are not there. With opt-in campaigns, you build a loyal subscriber list that can be targeted with abandoned carts, flash sales, promotions, discounts, and other revenue-generating messages.
This type of retargeting is affordable and effective. It is not reliant upon emails being opened and more likely to lead to sales.