Snapchat Marketing Statistics: What Can You Expect for Your Shopify Business?
The marketing “arsenal” available to Shopify store owners is vast — from website/email marketing and PPC through to all the great social platforms like Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and so on.
Most ecommerce businesses fare better on the “visual content” platforms and that’s why Instagram marketing has taken off in recent years — but don’t forget about Snapchat,
Snapchat marketing is a “thing” for businesses — not just chatty teenagers — and many ecommerce stores use the platform for ads and marketing in 2022.
The impressive number of engaged users on the platform can help you grow your Shopify business if you get it right.
Don’t believe me?
Let’s take a look at some Snapchat marketing statistics that might convince you to start including the platform in your decisions about ecommerce marketing strategy…
What is Snapchat?
If you have kids, you likely know Snapchat. But you may think of it mainly as a social network for teenagers sharing photos person-to-person — largely from their phones and mobile devices.
That’s how it started in 2011 but over the years, it’s evolved into something bigger. It now looks and works completely differently from when it started.
Not only can users send videos but they can live video chat, message, create video “stories” and more.
And, more importantly for you as a Shopify store owner, ecommerce and local businesses are using it to advertise and market.
Just like with Instagram, TikTok and the other traditional image/video-based networks, Snapchat has opened up to advertisers and marketers looking for access to its hundreds of millions of engaged users.
The company behind Snapchat, Snap Inc. is a U.S. camera company that also develops and maintains technological products, such as Spectacles and Bitmoji.
The 2021 revenue of Snap Inc was reported as $4.12 billion. One important note that we should add before we get into the Snapchat marketing statistics is that the platform is blocked in China.
Snapchat usage and demographic statistics
- Snapchat has 557 million monthly active users (as of January 2022)
- Daily active users were estimated at 347 million in July 2022
- These statistics make Snapchat the 12th largest social network on the planet (bigger than Twitter and Pinterest)
- In the U.S., the Snapchat population is 109.2 million users
- The highest number of users per country is India (156.7 million users) with Pakistan also boasting 23.8 million users
- France and the UK are the most popular Snapchat countries in Europe
- More than 80% of Snapchat users are in the 13-34 age group
- Snapchat is most popular among females: 51.8% of Snapchat users are female and 47.4% are male
- Snapchatters spend over 30 minutes on the platform every day, on average
- 34% of teenagers in the U.S. consider Snapchat as their preferred app
Snapchat statistics: Engagement
Snapchat’s engagement rate is a very high 80% — possibly because users decide exactly what they want to see and who to interact with.
Other neat tools like swipe links encourage sharing and engagement on the platform. This is especially important for Snapchat marketers who benefit from high engagement rates with their ads.
Snapchat claims that the swipe-up rate is five times higher than normal social media click-through rates.
Here are some other interesting Snapchat engagement statistics that help explain why Shopify marketers should consider advertising on the platform:
- 60% of Snapchat users create new content on the app every day
- Videos receive 18 billion daily views on Snapchat
- Videos account for 57% of the total content shared on Snapchat
Snapchat marketing statistics for businesses
Did you know that Gen Z and millennials have directly spent around one trillion dollars through Snapchat?
With the huge number of engaged users, the marketing prospects on Snapchat are increasing daily.
Almost one-third of U.S. marketers already use Snapchat for marketing but these figures are set to increase in the coming years.
Here are some of the latest Snapchat marketing statistics of interest:
- The average revenue per Snapchat user is approximately $1.90
- 76% of Snapchat users make their purchases online every holiday season
- Snapchat users are 60% more likely to make impulse purchases
- Snapchatters are 20% more likely to make purchases using mobile devices
- Snapchatters use apps to make purchases at least once a month
- 4 out of 10 Snapchat users have discovered a brand via celebrity endorsements
- Over 20% of Snapchat users bought a product they discovered on the platform
- 35% of Snapchat users send snaps about products they’re interested in buying
- 80% of Snapchatters use the platform at a restaurant, 66% while shopping and 50% at the gym.
Snapchat ad statistics
Snapchat offers different types of ads for its business users:
- A single image or video ad
- Story ads (videos) that feature on the Discover feed
- Filter ads (overlays on snaps)
- Lenses, which are an Augmented Reality (AR) feature that adds animated effects to snaps
- Product Catalog ads that showcase a series of products
- Dynamic ads, for retargeting users who have shown interest in a particular product
- Commercials: six-second videos that users cannot skip
So, what do we know about the businesses that are already using Snapchat ads to try to grow their sales and revenue?
Snapchat has claimed increased engagement with its ad platform, with a 36 percent increase in install volume for app ads and a 19 percent increase in swipe-up rate overall.
It is also claimed that more than 57 percent of businesses on the platform post video ads as a marketing strategy.
Over 60 percent of the Snap ads are viewed with sound on, which is not the case with Facebook ads. So, including music in your ads is a great idea.
Here are some other interesting Snapchat ad marketing statistics:
- Marketers have the potential to reach 7.7% of the worldwide population through Snapchat
- Marketers have the potential to reach 9.9% of the worldwide population aged 13+ through Snapchat
- Snapchat’s global advertising revenue was $3.07 billion in 2021 and it is predicted to reach $5.87 billion by 2026
- 55% of Gen Zers have an ad recall after watching 0 to 2 seconds of a Snapchat ad
- Snapchat ads are estimated to capture twice the attention of users compared to Facebook
- Snapchat Sponsored Lenses are predicted to reach 16 million daily viewers
- The quarter-on-quarter change in Snapchat ad reach is +4.7 % (around 20% annually)
You can advertise on Snapchat for as little as $5 but your ad spend will depend on the types of ads you want to run, your main goals and your budget.
Success stories from businesses using Snapchat for marketing
Already, some big brands have adopted the Snapchat platform for marketing.
By considering a few Snapchat marketing statistics from several of the ecommerce brands that use the platform for advertising, you can estimate the ROI you can expect from campaigns:
- Walmart: 7% increase in brand awareness and 9% lift in brand association
- Boombit: 2.8x increase in installs after scaling the Snap SKAN campaign
- L’Oreal Paris Mascara: 9% increase in recommendation intent among Gen Z females
- RBX: 9X return on advertising spend on men’s sneakers
Other big-name brands that have successfully used Snapchat ads are:
- Christian Dior
Ready to snap your way to growth?
There is a whole social media platform out there underutilized by Shopify businesses like yours and waiting for you to pick it up and run with it.
This “window of opportunity” to tap into the marketing potential of Snapchat may not last long. It’s still relatively early days and certainly worth considering for small ecommerce businesses, especially if your target audience is Gen Zers or mainly in the 15-30 age group.
By taking advantage of this window, you can distinguish your store from the competition and aid your growth.