Best Free Gift Apps for Shopify
It doesn’t matter what you’re selling or where – customers love free gifts!
For Shopify store owners, free gifts are a way to stand out from the crowd for potential new customers and reward the loyalty of your existing customers.
Developing free gift offers can help you increase the average order value by upselling and is a good way to disperse unwanted inventory.
The process is made much easier by using a Shopify free gift app — of which there are many options to choose from.
We’ve taken a look at a few of the best free gift app options out there and here’s what we found…
Free Gifts BOGO is probably the most popular free gift app out there for Shopify store owners. It’s been positively reviewed by almost 1,000 merchants, has been installed over 25,000 times, and maintains a very high rating (close to five stars).
The team at Secomapp makes several apps available on the Shopify app store and they clearly know what they’re doing as they all rate very well with merchants.
Free Trial? Yes — 7 days
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.8 (966 reviews)
Main pros:Unlimited number of offers
- Option to auto-add gifts to cart
- Let customers choose gifts from various options
- Create and run multiple offers at the same time
- Set priority levels for multiple offers
- Clear out excess inventory
- Different types of offers include buy one get one, buy X get Y free, free gift with purchase, spend X get Y, etc.Display a free gift message or banner on cart pages
- Include a gift icon on the collection page and product pages
- Customizations available for each offer/icon
- Create offers that require special URL access
- Award free gifts based on customers’ order history
- Slightly high starting price point for smaller stores
- Short free trial
Gift Box – Free Gifts & Cards is by the developer Digismoothie, which has many apps to its name on the Shopify app store.
This one, like most of them, maintains a high approval rating from Shopify store owners, who rank it as one of the best free gift apps available.
Price: From $29.99/month for basic Shopify stores. $39.99 for the Standard version, $99.99 for the Advanced version, and $199.99 for the Shopify Plus version.Free Trial? Yes — 3 days
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.8 (100 reviews)
Main pros: Helps you create your own free gifts to motivate sales and reward customers
- Calculates remaining spend and recommends to customers how much is required to claim a free gift
- Offers include buy product X and get another one for free, buy 2 products and get 1 for free, etc.
- Can offer custom services or products (free shipping, gift wrap, gift card) as free gifts on orders
- Choose from pre-defined templates (free shipping, free product) or create your own
- Unlimited number of free gifts with rules (customized thresholds)
- Localize the app to other languages as all texts are fully customizable
- Automatically add gifts to customers’ carts when they checkout
- Simple to set up and use — no coding necessaryLooks great on both desktop and mobile
- Short free trial – only 3 days
- Doesn’t work with volume discounts or custom checkout solutions (e.g., PayPal Express Checkout or Amazon Pay buttons).
Gift On Order is by Webkul Software, a well-established and prolific app developer with a great reputation for making useful apps for Shopify stores.
This one offers a lower price point than some of the other fee gift apps reviewed here so it might be attractive for new or growing stores. It’s generally well-reviewed but doesn’t offer the ability to scale up as with the previous two apps reviewed.
Price: $9/month flat pricing
Free Trial? Yes — 7 days
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.3 (40 reviews)
- Assign free gifts with any order, as per the rules you defineGift rules based on total cart value of order, buy X get Y product, etc.
- Gifts are automatically added to the cart
- Also provide various gift products for the customer to choose from
- Set the period for which the rule applies and the gift is availableGift rules explained on a separate page
- Popups can be added to the homepage to let customers know about free gifts
- Easy to set up and use
- Simple pricing
- Some users complain about too many emails after they uninstall the app.
Sales Motivator is a free gift app by Singleton Software, another well-established Shopify app developer.
As the name suggests, this app is aimed at improving the motivation to buy and the order value — using free gifts as the bait. In fact, the promotional video promises up to a 30 percent increase in sales, which most stores would not turn their noses up at.
Price: From $14.99/month for the Basic plan. Pro Version plan at $29.99/month includes own gift creator, automatic gift box opening, etc.
Free Trial? Yes — 10 days
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.7 (105 reviews)
- Create multiple gift offers to improve conversion rate and upsell
- Offer free gifts for special products or based on cart total value
- Offer free gifts for selected collections and gifts for selected vendors/product types
- Let customers select gifts from a collection or add them automatically to carts
- Gift box widget allows customers to see all offers for free gifts and choose
- Gift boxes are customizable to your store’s style
- View customizations in live preview before saving
- Set one or more free gifts with selected variants for offers (customers can choose free gifts with favorite size, color, etc.)
- Select date range for free gift offersSet other conditions/rules for your offers
- Customers can view free gift products on cart page
- Works with Shopify discount codes
- A few bugs reported from users where products are offered for free – but support seems responsive
Cart Upsell, Free Gift Monster is a very-well reviewed free gift app by Monster Upsells that maintains close to a five-star rating from Shopify merchants.
The app uses an enhanced slider cart drawer that can be customized to replace the default cart page and help you increase the average order value.
Price: Free for partner stores. $12.99/month for the Tier 1 plan (up to 50 monthly store orders). $19.99/month for the Tier 2 plan (up to 200 monthly store orders). $34.99/month for the Tier 3 plan (up to 500 monthly store orders).
Free Trial? Yes — 7 days
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.9 (245 reviews)
- Design upsell campaigns using a slide cart drawer that replaces the default cart page with an enhanced version
- Customizable and intuitive to fit your brand
- Use highly persuasive unlock goals with progress bars to increase revenue
- Trigger upsells on products added to the cart using add to unlock free gift/shipping discountsOne-tick
- upsell (shipping protection, priority processing, gift wrapping, warranty)Buy more save more, frequently
- bought together, etc.
- Eliminate popups that damage conversion rates
- Speed up the checkout process
- Upsells are designed to be evergreen
- Upsell in a natural way without spammy offers
- Less need for heavily discounted offersProvides quick insights into which campaigns are converting best
- from the analytics dashboard
- A few comments about slowing stores down but a new version is said to have fixed the problem.
Prizemojo is a gift app available for free on the Shopify app store. It takes a slightly different approach than other free gift apps, aiming to engage the audience with sponsored games that offer prizes and giveaways.
Then app makes the “gamification” process easy, creating goodwill that can lead to more loyal customers who increase their spending in the future. Because your products will be featured on the Prizemojo site as giveaways, the app can also help you test the popularity of products against others.
Free Trial? No
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.8 (5 reviews)
- Offers a giveaway game for customers
- “No strings attached” giveaways
- Automates the creation of product links, shop backlinks, and product giveaways through a guided sponsorship process
- Automatically convert any product into a prize
- Simple to install and launch a giveaway
- Utilize excess inventory as giveaways
- Highlight and promote new products by offering them as prizes
- Free advertising for your products on the Prizemojo site
- Can test the popularity of products compared to other prizes offered at Prizemojo
- Free to download and use
- Lack of reviews from Shopify merchants
Gift your way to more revenue with the best Shopify free gift apps
The free gift apps for Shopify reviewed above can all help you implement a free gift strategy that serves your store long into the future.
Giving something away incurs a few costs but the potential returns are great — not only in immediate sales and order values but in long-term customer loyalty.