Best Shopify Customer Tagger Apps
Segmenting customers on your list…getting more targeted with your marketing campaigns…introducing more automation into campaigns…streamlining order management.
It all depends on tagging.
Customer tagging allows you to pin “identifiers” onto each customer according to their location, preferences, buying behaviors, and so on. You can categorize and organize customers into carefully segmented groups.
This means more targeted and more effective email campaigns, SMS marketing, Facebook campaigns, Google AD campaigns and other forms of marketing.
You can also improve the after-sales experience and manage orders more efficiently with a more sophisticated tagging system.
As always with Shopify, you’re quite spoiled for choice when it comes to customer tagger app options.
We take a look at a few of the best tagger apps below so that you don’t have to sort through them all to find the one you want.
The Customer Tags and Segments app by Union Works Apps is dedicated to smart tagging of customers – rather than orders or products.
It’s designed for Shopify store owners who want to improve their marketing performance with greater targeting and automation and this app has gathered impressive reviews from its high number of users.
The tagger workflows and auto tag system for customers allow you to set up a segmentation system where customers are automatically channeled into the right marketing lists.
Price: $15/month for Basic. $40/month for Extra (Shopify Plus)
Free Trial? Yes – 7-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.9 (60 reviews)
- Multi-condition workflows to apply and remove tags to customer records
- Tag customers based on what they buy, how much they spend, where they are located, etc.
- Easily create customer segments based on buyer behavior (bargain hunters, loyal customers, brand advocates, new customers, etc.)
- Tailor communications with customers based on where they are in the customer lifecycle
- Use tags to trigger actions across different marketing platforms
- Create workflows and backdate to quickly create niche groups of customers
- Control access, manage discounts, etc.
- Apply customer tag workflows to past orders in bulk
- Helps make marketing more automated
- Use tag expiry and remove tags workflow to keep customers relevant and in the correct segment
- No free plan available
- Short free trial period (only 7 days)
Easy Tagging is developed by the team at DevCloud LLC, which provides a range of other social apps and useful utilities for ecommerce businesses.
This one provides a system for tagging not only customers but orders and products too, helping you organize your whole store more efficiently as well as improving customer targeting in marketing campaigns.
Price: Basic plan $4.99/month (up to 2,000 tags per month). Other plans at $9.99 (up to 10,000 tags), $19.99 (up to 50,000 tags) and $49.99 (up to 200,000 tags)
Free Trial? Yes – 15-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.7 (59 reviews)
- Automatically add tags to orders, products and customers matching certain criteria
- Set up rules and the app will take care of tagging your orders, products and customers
- Complete tagging system to help you organize your store better
- Segment sales, products and customers for better reports
- Remove tags and create meta fields if some criteria match your orders, products or customers
- Simple to install and use
- Real-time tagging on all plans
- No manual tagging required
- Help with custom configuration available if required
- No free plan available
- Occasional comments about difficulties using the dashboard
Auto tags by the team at Leap Apps is a customer tagger app with unparalleled reviews from Shopify store owners.
Impressively maintaining a maximum 5-star review score, the app allows you to tag more than just customers – with taggable products and orders for a more complete marketing and streamlined order management solution.
Price: Free plan available (for trial and development stores).$8/month for the Basic plan (up to 2,000 tags – not available for Shopify Plus customers). $15/month for Professional plan (up to 10,000 tags) and $30/month (up to 50,000 tags) for Business plan.
Free Trial? Yes – 14-day free trial
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 5.0 (79 reviews)
- Automatically tag customers, products and orders using custom rules
- Streamlines order management, creates customer segments for marketing and categorizes products
- Set up workflows specifying filtering conditions
- 50+ pre-built workflows to manage products, customer segments, order fulfilment process, etc.
- Tagging is done in real-time immediately after new orders, customers or products are created
- Uses webhooks to listen for events and trigger relevant workflows
- Run workflows to tag historical orders, customers, and products
- Accepts new feature/workflow requests – the app is constantly evolving
- Occasional comments about support – but most customers consider the team responsive
The Auto Tags Customer & Order app is developed by the team at App on Demands, who are responsible for several other order management and marketing apps.
This one focuses on simplifying order management first and foremost but because of the customer-tagging facility, it can also help you segment your customer list for marketing purposes.
Price: Free plan available (for one tagging rule). $9.99/month (unlimited tags)
Free Trial? No
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.3 (22 reviews)
- Filter orders by tags to simplify the order management process
- Build automation workflows for the processing and fulfillment of orders
- Tag customers to filter them based on a particular set of criteria
- Automatically tag customers based on a variety of conditions – you set the rules
- Choose from over 60 rules for tagging customers and orders
- Tag orders and customers by location, POS, order risk level, SKU, payment methods, order value, number of orders, products, collections, etc.
- Streamline customers and highlight particular groups
- Supports historical order tagging based on your rules
- Simple to install – no coding changes required
- Free plan available (one tagging ule) and low pricing for the unlimited paid plan
- The free plan only allows one tagging rule
- Occasional bugs have been reported and a few complaints about unresponsive support
Elevar Tag management Suite is a high-level tagging solution that improves the accuracy of Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, and Google Ads via server-side tracking. It helps with marketing data collection and tracking conversions across over 30 marketing channels.
The app is currently used by over 6,500 Shopify brands including some heavy-hitters, such as Vuori, Bulletproof, and Thrive.
While it is designed for store owners who take Google Tag Manager seriously and who usually have some technical nous, the customer tagging features can also be used by non-technical marketers.
Price: $50/month for the Basic plan. $250/month for plan including server-side tagging (and 95% accuracy guarantee). $500/month for a managed plan with a dedicated analyst.
Free Trial? No
Average Shopify Rating (out of 5 stars): 4.9 (69 reviews)
- One-click data layer and Google Tag Manager install for use in GA, GA4, Facebook Pixel, FB Conversion API, Google Ads, and server-side tagging
- Fully managed server-side tracking integration available (Advanced Plan only)
- Includes 95% conversion tracking guarantee for Google Analytics, Facebook, and GA4
- Pre-built Google Tag Manager containers for 30+ marketing channels
- Brings organization and accuracy to tag and pixel management – no more missed transactions/conversion tracking confusion
- Monitoring and alerts for broken tags
- Tags are monitored 24/7/365
- Chrome extension available to visually tag your site (point-and-click event tracking)
- Some comments about the user interface
Run more targeted marketing campaigns
Whether you want to improve customer targeting and marketing automation, extend the usage of discount codes for certain groups of customers, control access to certain areas of your store, or simply locate products and organize your store more efficiently, tagging is the answer.
In particular, customer tagging apps ensure that you channel your customers into the right groups for marketing purposes without any extra work on your part.
The five apps reviewed above are the cream of the crop but they all do something slightly different. Test a few of them out and see which one works best for you.