LoyaltyHarbour Image Optimizer does a good job of balancing the needs of user experience with SEO – compressing images and looking after the alt text/filename to improve site performance while keeping product images of high enough quality for users to see the necessary detail.
This is an extremely well-reviewed app by users.
- Can be set to automatically scan and compress images to minimize file size (manual compression also possible)
- Good choice of compression options – typical compression ranges from 40-60 percent, with five image compression options
- 30day backup and restore option allows you to revert top previous images if the results are not what you want
- The free version includes all the features (but severely limits image numbers)
- Excellent support
- Can compress product/asset/collection images
- Supports JPEG, PNG (including transparent PNGs), GIF (including animated GIFs)
- Alt text optimization using simple templates
- Descriptive file names using your keywords (better for SEO)
- Scan for new images periodically
- Easy-to-use interface
- Paid versions depend on image quantity (from 1000 – 5000 images/month)
- The free version only allows 50 images (one time)
- No free trial